Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ten on Tuesday: Independence Edition

Next Monday is the celebration of the Independence of the United States of America.  I need to say something right off the bat: I'm not an "oo-rah Go America USA USA kind of person."  Don't get me wrong.  I love this country and the principles on which it was founded, but I've been to other countries and I don't think that we are "number one."  I think that we have a lot going for us, but I don't think that we are supreme above all other countries.  If that makes you hate me or quit reading the blog, have a peaceful journey as we aren't made for each other.  I am an unrepentant liberal and for that I will never apologize.

Ten things I like about the "Fourth of July"

1. Fireworks  (I love fireworks.  Any fireworks.  They are so pretty!)
2. Waffle House will be open (I know, my foodies, but this Southern Girl loves Waffle House)
3. That red, white and blue (and their related colors) go well together
4. Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney (I love musicals and George M. Cohan wrote such memorable songs that are short and fun.)
5. Apple pie (but I also like it on July 5th and September 19th, and February 23rd)
6. Grilled hot dogs (normally I'm not a hot dog person, but on Independence Day I feel this urge to eat a hotdog with sweet relish, catsup and mustard on a white bun with a side of baked beans)
7. People seem a bit kinder to each other in this country on that day
8. Baseball (Go Cubbies!)
9. That we live in a country where we are free to worship (or not) any god (or goddess or nothing) that we feel called to worship (or not) without federal or state persecution and that I have the freedom to say that as well
10. That I will be working in a bookstore on this day where people are free to write and read books of their choosing. (So go read a banned book just because you can.)

1 comment: