Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ten on Tuesday: Beach Songs

Let me preface this by saying that, despite living in a beach town, I don't go to the beach often.  And very rarely in the summer.  I love the beach.  It is fascinating to me.  I've always lived within an hour's drive of a large body of water and I have yet to meet a beach I didn't love.  Whether it was the tan sands of Southern California, the rocky coast of Oregon or Japan, or the gorgeous sugar-white sands of Pensacola, I have found a connection with each beach I have visited.  But I loathe summers at the beach.  The beach is crowded and smelly and hot and even with SPF 937+ sunscreen I burn like a wayward potato chip.  So here is my 10 on Tuesday, the beach song edition (in no particular order):

1. Under the Boardwalk (The Drifters, although I like Bette Midler's version as well)
2. Have I Told You Lately that I Love You (preferably the Van Morrison version, although Rod isn't bad - don't ask me why I think this is a beach song, but it is for me ever since I was a teen)
3. Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding only!)
4. My Girl (The Temptations)
5. Margaritaville (Jimmie Buffet)
6. Fun, Fun, Fun (Beachboys version)
7. Sailing (Kris Kristofferson)
8. Anything by Meshugga Beach Party
9. Shout!
10. Summer Nights from the Grease soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment